Sunday, September 12, 2010

Zebra Canyon, Grand Staircase Escalante - Utah

Zebra Canyon is part of the Escalante river canyons in Utah, a river system mostly dry except during intermittent flash floods. From Bryce Canyon National Park, I drove east on Highway 12, a beautiful scenic drive, by the way. I stopped in Escalante in the BLM visitor center to learn more about the weather forecast, the road conditions and buy the 1:24000 scale map of Zebra's canyon area.
Hole-in-the-Rock road is running south from Highway 12, just a few miles east of Escalante. This graveled road was in very good shape and pulled over 8 miles later just after the cattle guard. I followed a good hiker's trail heading ENE, parallel to Halfway Hollow.
The first part was quite easy, despite the temperature. I just had to make sure I was drinking every 20 minutes. I wondered how wild flowers could grow out there.




Zebra Canyon




After entering Harris Wash, I walked north to find the entrance of the canyon. This last part is much harder, as you have to walk through sand. The best part of the canyon is near the entrance. This canyon is very narrow, and I saw some people turn around as they couldn't find their way through. I had to climb along the walls to get to the best part, a very photogenic canyon cutting through pinkish stripped Navajo Sandstone.






No comments:

Post a Comment