Friday, October 1, 2010

Bryce Canyon National Park

Bryce Amphitheater - Sunset Point (Navajo Trail)
The hoodoos of Bryce Canyon were sculpted in the Claron formation (limestone, dolomite and siltstone) by a process of freezing and thawing. If you want to experience this erosional process, do as I did, camp. I was certainly not prepared to experience a freezing night early September. Here, it freezes 360 nights per year.
60 million years of erosion have produced this unique landscape. Traces of iron oxide has colored the rock in combination of oranges.

Bryce Point in Winter




This wasn't my first visit at Bryce Canyon. I had the chance of snowshoeing on the plateau, which offered spectacular views of the various canyons. I feel lucky to have been here both in summer and winter. Winter offers very nice contrasts between the white snow and the colorful orange of the rock. This summer, I was astonished by the variation of colors in these hoodoos, the contrast with the bright green leaves of Britlecone and Penderosa pines.



Peekaboo Loop trail - my favorite
The trails are much more accessible in the summer. Bryce Canyon is so far away from Houston, I decided to hike some the great trails this park offers. I was only here from 4 pm to 11 am the following morning. Late in the afternoon, I hiked down Queens Garden trail from Sunrise Point and climbed back up to Sunset Point on the steep part of Navajo loop. It gave me a very good flavor of what this park is all about: walking in deep canyons amongst an army of hoodoos standing still. I was in time for a perfect sunset.


Bryce amphitheater at sunset, Navajo Loop trail
The next morning, I came back to Sunset Point for the sunrise as I thought it would be a better spot. Not sure if I was right or not, but it was a very nice spot anyhow. Bryce Point would be a good candidate and next time I will be around, I will hike down to Peekaboo Loop trail very early in the morning. This trail is fabulous and despite the elevation, is fairly easy. To me hiking this trail is the best way to appreciate the beauties of this place.


Queens Garden Trail
Sunset Point
Peekaboo Trail acess from Bryce Point

No comments:

Post a Comment