Friday, October 1, 2010

Capitol Reef National Park – Utah

Waterpocket Fold from Strike Valley Overlook, Capitol Reef National Park
Muley Twist Canyon



Capitol Reef National Park is located North-East of the Grand-Staircase Escalante, in a very remote location. It is a very peaceful and quiet place, as the geologic features this park is trying to preserve are probably not appealing to most people at first. However, I'm sure almost everyone would appreciate the unique views of the Waterpocket Fold, this 100 miles long monocline with differential erosion of the rock layers.
 


Here, a good 4WD is recommended, especially to drive in the creek of Muley Twist Canyon. Strike Valley Overlook is only a short walk away from the canyon. For the third time in my life, the view took my breath away. It happened before, as I was looking at the fjord Lisefjorden from the top of Preikestolen in Norway and as I was admiring the crater of Ngorongoro in Tanzania. No words could describe the feelings I had and not even the best pictures could render the view. I have made an attempt, which at least speaks to me. I find difficult to give a sense of scale to this type of landscape photography.



Fruita Historic District



There is much more to explore in the vicinity. You will find many canyons in this area. I chose to walk into Headquarters Canyon. It was my first steep and narrow canyon ever, a very easy one. As I was only there for a day, I was fairly limited in what I could see and therefore spent most of my time driving around to get a feeling of the place.



Taking good pictures would require knowing where to go in the early and late hours of the day. I had no time for this. Maybe one day?








Badland, Burr Trail Road



No comments:

Post a Comment