Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wildflowers of Western Australia

Wildflower, Perth, f/2, 1/8000s
September is the perfect time to visit Perth, on the West Coast of Australia. I haven't mentioned that I work for an australian company, BHP Billiton, as a petroleum geologist. The company has an office downtown Perth which I had the chance to visit on a mission. The hotel I was staying at is located downtown as well, just a short walk away from the beautiful King's Park. I will probably make a post on the park later, as I find it is Perth's jewel.




Back to our story. September is Spring time Down Under, and Spring is when flowers usually bloom, right? Well, it appears that Western Australia is very famous for its wildflowers. I had no idea, of course, but went for a usual walk to the park. It was a wonderful surprise to see King's Park, a botanical garden, was hosting its annual wildflower festival, displaying amazing flower beds. I only had two days left so I came back three times, before and after work when the light is at its best. So focused on my camera, I did not take the time to take notes, especially of the flowers names. On purpose, I will not mention any names as I would probably induce mistakes. I take pictures of flowers for their beauty anyway, and by no means am I a botanist. I was actually very bad in Botany,back when I was in school.


Japanese paintings, f/3.5, 1/80
I decided to use only one lens, my Nikkor 50mm f1/4. I haven't invested in a macro lens yet. I have been able to get the effects I wanted with my 50mm. I know I won't be able to take details of flowers at this stage but it is a good start. I wanted to show you a selection of the diversity and beauty of wildflowers I have seen, which makes a perfect subject on a visit to Perth or Western Australia in general.





No comments:

Post a Comment