Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ieoh Ming Pei in Paris

Ieoh Ming Pei's pyramid in Le Louvre, Paris
Ieoh Ming Pei is the brain behind the controversial pyramid in Le Louvre, Paris. When François Mitterrand decided to expropriate the Finance Ministry to Bercy in 1983, to expand and renew the museum, I.M. Pei was awarded the design. It may have shocked many people after the grand opening of the Grand Louvre in 1988, those who call blasphemy this mix of modern architecture with historical monuments. I personally will be eternally grateful to Mr Pei for his genius idea. The museum entrance is below the pyramid, which brings a lot of light into the lobby. From there, the access is easy and short to all aisles of this gigantic museum.


Even better, at dusk, tourists leave the esplanade to the enjoyment of those who love this magnificent historical monument, with the pyramid in the middle. This is pure magic, thanks to the reflective pools. I don't think I have been particularly imaginative when I took these shots as I didn't have much time to think my composition through (only got there a few minutes before sunset). What I can assure you is that there is an infinite source of angles to shoot from. Move around, take your time. And a tripod, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment