Sunday, October 3, 2010

Birds of Prey at Grouse Mountain - British Columbia

Golden Eagle flying over the crowd, Grouse Mountain - 190mm, f/4.5, 1/3200s


Bald Eagle
Birds of Prey are majestic creatures difficult to observe in the wild. I have always been fascinated by their ability to fly so fast, without the associated noise pollution and carbon dioxide emissions. With patience, a good set of binoculars and a telephoto lens, I am sure it is quite possible to observe their hunting skills while taking close-up shots. I haven't been very successful so far. Close-up shots are possible in most zoos but you will miss seeing them fly. In the wild, I saw many falcons and eagles, but they were quite far away.
During our trip to Vancouver, last summer, we climbed Grouse Mountain and we were very surprised to learn they had a falconry show called "Birds in Motion". For the first time, I could see birds of prey flying very close to me. They will fly over your head and you will only feel the air displacement. The Peregrin Falcon was way too fast for me and I didn't get a shot "in motion". Perhaps I should go back to Brazos Bend and practice more with flying birds.



                   Bald Eagle                                    Peregrin Falcon                                    Red-Tailed Awk

No comments:

Post a Comment